Here is a presentation I gave at the Marketing Expo of DMEXCO in Germany. It is one of the largest Marketing Expo’s in Europe and it was a real privilege to talk about the projects and the collaborative creative process we use at Indie. I hope you enjoy it.Click HERE if you want to skip to my part of the presentation or just skip to 11:55 in the video below.
Posts Tagged ‘marketing’
Ok, so I have had heard ALOT of Mj this past week. Many times to the point of insanity. But I owe MJ my dance start. It was watching him that got my feet moving, into ballet and jazz classes, and is probably why they are still moving today. I love to dance. And even though I might have driven my parents crazy with my Thriller Album, I’m VERY DONE with Jackson’s music. For a long time. So as a final tribute, and after this no longer shall he be mentioned, I made this video together with Amsterdamize.com today. We made it for the Eternal Moonwalk site, a tribute to MJ. It is a viral that has been spreading over the last days. It is a great viral system for user generated content. But it is not unique. During the last world cup, Nikefootball.com did this as well with a video of people kicking a soccer ball from one place to the other. This was however also not a new idea, but one of the first times the idea was used on a branded site. The idea actually comes from Vlogball, which was started by a bunch of students as a project to understand collborative media. I forget where, google it. So here we see again, an original viral be rebranded, and creating an enormous success. However I must point out a couple of key points to this viral undertaking that differ from before.
1. People beleive they are paying tribute to Michael Jackson, rather than being added to an advertising database of Studio Brussels. See dutch people! The Belgians are not a stupid as you think!
2. The video slides from right to left, rather than the simple cut that the previous examples created. This also shows what is coming next!
3. They randomize the playlist so even coming in at the 1333 entry, it will still maybe play at one point.
4. They have twitter, facebook, share and other ways to share that exact segment. Thus when someone does make one, (and it eventually gets passed through the screening process, which can take a while I tell you.) and sees it on the site, they can tell ALL THIER FRIENDS!!! YEAH!!! WHOOO HOO!! LOOK FRIENDS!!! I’M MOONWALKING!!!!! (although the mailto message is reallllly lame.)
5. You can search for locations, and it puts those in the next cue. Just kind of fun.
However I think there are some improvements that could be made. How to make it better?
1. Allow people to quickly click on a clip they see to add it to a favorites playlist that can then be embedded on sites.
2. ALLOW FOR BLOGGERS TO GET AN EMBED CODE EASILY!!!! Sorry, couldn’t figure it out anywhere.
That’s all the free advice I’ll give. Just because it’s MJ. So for all the other young boys out there that Michael Touched and got them to dance in their pajamas, this is for you.
update: to see this in the site click here.
Many people wonder how Viral Campaigning works. Many beleive that all you have to do is make a funny video woth a cat and that will spread the message. Sorry, that was about 2-3 years ago. The truth is nowadays you have to create a Multi Media Alternate Reality Game. Otherwise known as an ARG. There are puzzles spread over the internet, areas to communicate with other players, real world phone calls and emails. This is how you create a Viral. Not just a 30 sec. clip but an allround Media experience, puzzle and immersion. These are the types of projects that my students have been developing over the last few years. One of the first of my DVTG students created on his own, with no budget, an alternate reality game that spread from temples in Thailand, lockers in London, phone calls from New York and the Vatican. Using the tools available all over the internet with free sites, this is how Alternate Reality Games are spread. Below we see a video of the Dark Night Campaign, and there are 2 of the Transformers virals that were spread. Those videos spread from the transformers is called, “The Rabbit Hole”. Or the first video trigger that leads one into the Alternate Reality Game.
- Metro Last Light Trainer said: Wow, that's what I was looking for, what a data! p...
- J.C. Chapman said: Dear Gabriel, Hello and how are you? I am wri...
- Runner said: Flash games are so fun! They are very addictive!!...
- gabemac said: Thanks!...
- gabemac said: It's gotten Disney already :). Just wait till the ...
- Conor Brennan said: I think video mapping is amazing. When i was in di...